INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Tuesday, April 16, 2002

Be My Handicapper

I think I want Mike Sanders to go with me to the racetrack. He picked Tiger Woods to win the Masters by three strokes--which is exactly what happened. Not that there's any rocket science in picking Tiger at the Masters. But Mike called it when there were still three rounds to play, Woods was behind by three strokes, and has been off his game since the winter. I'm impressed!

Mike obviously spotted that victory look in Tiger's eyes. When his indomitable will to win takes over, the opposition crumbles. Never mind that the scoring leaders that he had to overcome this weekend were all among the top ten golfers in the world. It doesn't matter how good they are. They're toast when Tiger starts his victory march.

It's totally reminiscent of the only other sports figure of comaparable stature to Tiger--one Michael Jordan. His team could be behind by 15 points in the fourth quarter, and you could just see that look come across his face. "Enough of this shit!" he seemed to say. "If my team isn't going to do it, then I'll just have to do it myself." And sure enough, he would. It was metaphysical, and so is Tiger.

As for the Swedish girl friend that Mike seems so fascinated with, I'm out of the loop on that one, and frankly, don't care. You'll have to consult Mike about Tiger's love life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home