INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Friday, April 19, 2002

Paglia Time

Thanks to Elaine of KalililyTime for her weighty dose of excerpts from Camille Paglia's book: " Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson." Haven't heard much about Camille in a while, now that she no longer seems to be a media darling.

Elaine says Paglia is "dismissed by most men because of her intense, confrontational, opinionated style." I wouldn't include myself in that group at all. Yes, Camille can really piss you off, but I've always respected her fierce spirit, unconventionality and fearless intellectuality--although it's something I generally keep to myself, given the hostility that she engenders.

Anyone who takes the kind of bold and daring leaps that Paglia does is bound to get it wrong sometimes. No way is that a reason to dismiss her.

Anyway, catch Elaine's post. Good stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home