INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Saturday, June 29, 2002

A New Universe

Had my first blogger phone call yesterday. Frank Paynter called to chat about the interview he's doing with me, and to invite us to dinner when we're in Madison come December for Jonathan's graduation.

The interview's been going rather slowly because things are kind of hectic right now in my Real World life. Nonetheless, I'm pressing on with it, and hope to have it completed in a few more days. Then again, Frank keeps thinking of new questions to lob at me, so who knows?

As I told Frank, it's kind of amazing to find myself in this new universe. I started my blog just a scant four months ago. It seems like four years. I remember when we were expecting our first child, a friend who was already a parent said, "in a few months you won't be able to remember not having been a parent, that's how total the life change is."

In a less dramatic way, it's sort of like that with blogging. It's hard to remember not having been a blogger. It's quite an encompassing shift in consciousness that's hard to describe, but I'm sure that other bloggers know what I'm talking about.

I remember one of the better known observers of the blog scene--and I can't remember which one--remarked that there was a blogger's version of the Andy Warhol dictum about fifteen minutes of fame: "every blogger is famous to fifteen people." While I wouldn't claim to be famous to fifteen people, I'm fairly certain that there are fifteen bloggers who, if I showed up in their town and invited them for a drink, lunch, etc., would accept. There's no way my universe would expand that rapidly in the Real World. It's pretty amazing. Thanks, Frank, for helping to keep the game going.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home