INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Anniversary Cornucopia

Back in August of last year, I started a feature called "Anniversary Archives," wherein I re-published posts from earlier years that originally appeared on that date. It was an interesting exercise, but I only got three of them up before I went on vacation.

Then I pulled one of my disappearing acts, publishing only a bare handful of posts in the ensuing months. The Anniversary Archives idea was completely forgotten.

But now that I'm trying to make another return, I'd like to resurrect the feature. I was scouring around through old stuff, and somehow--I have no idea how--I landed on this page from Jeneane's archives.

It has no relevance to today's date, but I find it to be a gem. So I've decided to use it as my first piece in the re-opening of my Anniversary Archives feature. While not related to today's date, it's about a whole host of blog anniversaries--a compilation of opening posts from a number of exemplary blogs. Very much worth republishing, imho.

Many thanks to Jeneane for these great links.Read and enjoy!

This is by no means a complete list of my classmates/inspirations/co-conspirators, and yet, when I started snooping around, I did find enough "first posts" to warrant a celebratory yeeehaw! We've come a long way, baby....


Fishrush's Hello World: September 25, 1952 (ROTFL)

xian's Breathing Room: October 30, 1997

Lisa Williams' Cadence 90: May 31, 2000

Chris Locke's All Noise: August 5, 2000

Marek J's Soapbox: August 5, 2000

Brooke's Rivervision: November 7, 2000

Dean Landsman's DeanLand: December 17, 2000

Deb Gussman's Distracted: February 27, 2001

Michael O'Connor Clarke: March 1, 2001

Shelley Powers' BurningBird: [[April 5, 2001, after lurking for a year. Shelley's first post was on a Userland Manila site and has since disappeared. Conspiracy? TAHDW? You be the judge. Shelley has special dispensation because she is my idol. She's the only first post I'll include without a link.]]

Marc's Nexistepas: October 8, 2001

Gonzo Engaged: October 14, 2001

George Sessum's Musick: October 23, 2001

Jeneane Sessum's Allied: November 4, 2001

Gaspar Torriero: November 7, 2001

Kevin Marks Epeus' epigone: November 7, 2001

Gary Turner's* MLOD: November 14, 2001 (Gary Turner's "Inturnernet News" blog dates back to 1999.)

David Weinberger's JOHO: November 15, 2001*. (*JOHO was started in 1999, and after a two-year hiatus, re-emerged.)

Denise Howell's Bag n Baggage: November 28, 2001

Elaine's Kalilily: November 29, 2001

Jennifer Balderama's Nonsense Verse: December 7, 2001

Frank Paynter's Sandhill Trek: January 5, 2002

Halley's Commentsans: January 10, 2002

Mike Golby: Jan 11, 2002

AKMA: January 23, 2002

Tom Shugart's Insiteview: Feburary 21, 2002

Doug's The Dynamic Drivel: March 28, 2002

Jonathon Mays' Stretching Thought: April 16, 2002

Liz Lawley's Mamamusings October 22, 2002 (happy first birthday, Liz!)

2 Comments:

  • Nah, all of the old Userland weblogs were disappeared a long time ago. And some I didn't bother recovering as I moved from blogging tool to blogging tool.

    But I started in 1951, so *pbhhbbt*! to the Fish Man!

    Shelley

    By Blogger Shelley, at 1:58 PM  

  • thanks for the link, Tom - but the URL you used is for the Blogger incarnation of enthusiasm. My first post is still to be found at http://www.nexistepas.com/enthuse/?p=22

    (it's post number 22 because I'd made 21 posts in the WordPress version of the blog before I imported the older posts)

    rgds, marc

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home