INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

A Luxury of Age

In my last post, some twelve days ago, I said the blog would be dark for the weekend while I attended my nephew's graduation from UCLA--and some family schmoozing afterward. The weekend turned in to nearly a fortnight as I decided on a whim to take some extra time off.

This is what you younger folks have to look forward to--the luxury of being able to make spontaneous choices like this. Ronni Bennett's great blog sports the tagline "what it's really like to get older." In my view, it's not so different from the other stages of life--in the sense that it has its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages.

So far, I'd say that getting older has a lot going for it, provided one can put one's anxiety aside about what the body's decline may portend in the not too distant future, and just enjoy the advantages that one's current situation is presenting.

Isn't it much the same dynamic as when you're young? There are plenty of things to be anxious about: what kind of career am I going to have? Will I find a mate? Will I be able to meet my financial needs? What will become of my social life as my friends scatter to the four corners of the earth? Etc, etc. You could get lost in the fear, or you could take advantage of all the wonderful things that youth enables.

So, if you'll excuse the philosophical digression, I'm back and hopefully will begin posting again on a regular basis. I'm trying hard not to fall into my previous lapses of extended silence.

1 Comments:

  • hmmm.... nice...

    my granny is almost 80 now, but she's perhaps more alert, more active and has more will-power than us...

    always wonder tht the youth is decaying, the older generations were much stronger in more ways than one.. there's also one short story / play of tolstoy on this idea, if am not mistaken...

    liked ur blog, will keep visiting..

    By Blogger Green fodder, at 3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home