INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Wednesday, July 03, 2002

Expulsion

Well, there's a first time for everything. I've been hit with my first removal from a blogroll. Jordon Cooper has decided to do some trimming of his roll so that he can accommodate new listings without the list getting too long. I can't argue with his reasoning. It might be a decision that I'll have to face myself at some point.

I wonder how others feel about the issue of blogroll size? Jordon feels that over-long rolls cause readers to skip over them. Do you agree? At what point does a blogroll become too long? Rebecca Blood deals with it by dividing her blogroll into categories (very cleverly, I might add).

Should you remove links to blogs that have removed yours? I know that some people think that you shouldn't link to anyone who doesn't link to you. I don't agree with that. For example, I read Doc Searls and David Weinberger nearly every day. They don't link to me. I wouldn't dream of taking them off my blogroll. After all, they are mega-blogs--in terms or readership and quailty--Rebecca's too. While it would be wonderful to be on their blogrolls, I would be air-headed to expect it and foolish to feel slighted.

For a smaller blog like Jordon's, it's a bit of a sting to get expelled, but, again, I understand his reasoning. I think it would be spiteful of me to take his link down. It's as good a blog as it ever was, so why should I remove it? If and when the time comes to start thinning the roll, I guess the first to go would have to be those who don't reciprocate with me (the super-blogs excepted). In the meantime, I'll still read ya' Jordon. Sorry you lost interest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home