INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Saturday, January 04, 2003

What They Really Want

Thanks to AKMA for the link to the “Faster Horses” piece in the archives of Chris Locke’s EGR newsletter. I’m a subscriber, but this piece must have appeared before my subscription began.

As a former salesman and marketing consultant who’s spent countless soul-trying hours sitting around forbidding conference tables trying desperately to pull something out of my ass, and struggling to hold my tongue from saying something acidic to the assembled fellow-pretenders pretending not to be pretenders, Locke’s piece strikes a ringing chord.

My favorite line: “Heads nod knowingly around the table. Finally I am in my element: total bullshit.”

During beer-infused, saloon de-briefings following these dreaded presentations, we searched but could only dream of coming up with the kind of descriptive, brilliant accounts that Locke pulls off here. It’s a hilarious reminder of why we keep reading the Raging One, warts and all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home