INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Saturday, September 27, 2003

Annual Report

At my age, the rite of the annual physical exam moves from the realm of the optional to the essential. The arrival of the appointed day looms ever larger in the consciousness as the years accumulate. Blood-pressure readings, cholesterol counts, creatin, prostate PSA, TSH, glucose, and a whole host of other markers become foci for either bragging or anxiety.

The bragging rights were delivered to me yesterday, I’m happy to say.

“Tell your wife we won’t be scraping you off the floor any time soon,” says the Doc.

But the news wasn’t all happy. I asked about the nagging neck pain that’s been bedeviling me every day for the past month or so.

“If you’re planning on sticking around for a while, say hello to the wonderful world of degeneration,” intones the Doc. “They’ve yet to make the skeleton that will escape Father Time. There are two options, and only two: pain killers and keeping the muscles strong.”

I’ve been doing a pretty good job of keeping up with my aerobics, but I’m forced to admit that my dumbbells have been taking up closet space for a long time. The message is clear. Time to dust’em off. Ugh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home