INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Crew Days

I always enjoy Maria Benet’s posts about her sons’ crew races. They bring back a lot of memories. My younger son, Jonathan, did crew in high school and went to all the same venues that Maria writes about.

Getting into crew was the best decision the kid ever made. He got recruited by the University of Wisconsin, a grand school with a grand crew program. His high school boat mates have formed a bond that still holds tight. In fact, Jon and one of his boat mates are trekking to Israel together in a couple of months.

Maria describes her experience of listening to Dr. Dre while schlepping the kids in the car. :

" On the drive home, the car was filled with exhausted teens whose idea of a rest before going back to the boathouse to unload the boats from the trailer and rig them was to play Dr. Dre full blast. The ride lasted an interesting 45 minutes or so, during which I asked myself why don't more Social Studies teachers, or, heaven forbid, even literature teachers, present the work of Dr. Dre or Eminem in class. I, for one, got quite an education form listening with the boys. I wish more parents could hear what their children have to say about the music that moves them and brings them into their own world, a world that seems like such a threat in its distance to so many of those parents."

I’m intrigued and would enjoy perusing some of the lyrics if Maria would identify the Dre tunes worth checking out.

When I did car pooling duties for the lads a decade ago, it was a quite different experience. Being Berkeleyans, and therefore contrarians, these kids were having none of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, REM, or other big groups of the day. To my utter astonishment, the music they chose to blast through the car’s speakers could have come right out of my own collection.

Their tastes ran to Creedence Clearwater, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, and the Doors. You could have blown me over with a feather. Instead of the car pooling being an annoying obligation, it was thoroughly enjoyable bonding experience.

Maria, you should be so lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home