INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Monday, April 29, 2002

Credo From Chris

I've been going through one of those periods where I'm struggling with my blogging--why am I doing it, it's not worth a damn, who cares, nobody reads it, I can't hold a candle to the really good bloggers so why bother, does the world need another blog, it's a waste of my time and mental energy, it's time to get a life and end this farting around on the internet, etc., etc., etc.....

and then Locke sends this in the EGR newsletter, slapping me into recognition of what "writing ourselves into existence" is all about:

"I don't want to be a hero, I said. Don't want to have a thousand faces, launch a thousand ships. But I wonder why we think this way. Where our sense of shifting destiny has gone. For better or worse, I said, I am trying to live my life in public. Online. We've never had any channel for this. No models. And the models we need are not"model" lives but real ones. Uncertain and afraid, crippled, broken. Trying to make sense of our minds and our hearts and the world we encounter out here. Telling each other what it's like to be human. Making what we can with all we've got. Not shitting ourselves and each other with facile platitudes, easy formulas, empty slogans. A human life for all to see, for what it's worth. It may not be worth much, but that's what I'm doing here."

Uh... guess I'll keep plugging away for a while longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home