INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Anniversary Archives - - August 9, 2003

I think I'll keep going with this feature. I'm having fun with it. Today's anniversary post from 2003 recalls one of my all-time favorite bloggers, Jonathon Delacour, who has disappeared from the scene. He's done it before and then, like me, come back for more. However Jonathon's current absence is becoming rather extended--some sixteen months now.

Let's hope the hiatus is nearing its end, but who knows? He wouldn't be the first esteemed blogger of the early days to vacate the space altogether.

This post also demonstrates the dogged persistence of Frank Paynter--of which I've been the target myself more than once. Wonder if Frank might unsheath the electric prod for another go at Delacour? Sure would be nice to have him back.

This post also reminded me that I need to restore all the links I stupidly lost when I switched Blogger formats. Since Paynter interviews are the subject here, I'm inspired to make my first restoration--one of my most prized links--the "I've Been Paynted" button. BTW, Frank, why not have all of your interviews linked on that page? You've done so many good ones, why not give your readers the chance to see'em all?

I tried to link to Frank's August '03 post referred to in my archive below, but his archives from that period don't seem to be accessible. The "Frank Paynter" link takes you--not to the piece about Delacour, but to his 2006 Sandhill Trek pages. Am I doing something wrong, Frank?


August 9, 2003


The Paynter Press


Lots of expressions of delight at the return of Jonathon Delacour to blogging. I’ll add my voice to the chorus. Frank Paynter has decided to greet the return with a press for some divulgence of more personal info from the esteemed Aussie blogger. Seems that Frank regards him as something of a mystery man and would like to discover more of the man behind the blog.

This should be interesting. I can’t quite tell whether Frank is trying to get Jonathon to be the next subject of one his famous interviews. If he isn’t, I’m suggesting that he give it a try. Frank is nothing if not persuasive and persistent (notice I didn’t say “pest”). Surely, Jonathon would be a most worthy addition to the “I’ve Been Paynted” club.

8 Comments:

  • I've crapped things up in my archives during my transition from Radio Userland to TypePad to Wordpress. My good intention is to pull all the interviews into the wordpress environment and then offer redirects from those other two URLS. Thanks for the nudge, Tom. I'll get back to migrating content forthwith!

    By Blogger fpaynter, at 11:04 AM  

  • Tom, thank you for the kind words. For quite a while now I've been on the brink of returning to blogging -- I've pretty much completed the task of moving my previous blog entries from Movable Type to WordPress -- but a part of me wonders whether I should come back or not. So much has changed. We'll see.

    As for being "Paynted", I did send a long response to a request from Frank when I was actively blogging, but the "interview" never appeared. I'd be unlikely to respond again.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:07 PM  

  • OK, Frank, Great!

    Jonathon: I'm grateful for this morsel of hope. As for the ambivalence, I not only understand it, I experience it every time I sit down to post.

    " So much has changed." Ah, so. As long as my pleasure in writing outweighs my distaste for the changes, I guess I'll plug along. "We'll see" is a ditto for me.

    By Blogger Tom Shugart, at 3:51 PM  

  • I'm not sure if you already know about this (or if you already have your old links saved up elsewhere), but you can always check the Internet Archive at http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://insiteview.blogspot.com/ to find your old blogroll.

    By Blogger Sya, at 11:47 AM  

  • Darn! Here's the link again Insiteview at the Internet Archive.

    By Blogger Sya, at 11:47 AM  

  • Re. jd's passive aggressive aside, I should note that there were a number of unsettling factors that limited my communication with him. Some people have a facility for conversation, some are monologists. Some show a willingness to find a mutual direction while some are born leaders. I'd be unlikely to dig any deeper into the mysteries of M. Delacour for these reasons and others.

    By Blogger fpaynter, at 1:36 PM  

  • Jeez, did I open a can of worms? I had no idea. I told you doing these "Anniversary Archives" was fun.

    Sya--Great to hear from you! Another voice from the past that I need to catch up with. No doubt a lot of new happenings in your life. I'll be coming 'round to check them out.

    By Blogger Tom Shugart, at 11:11 PM  

  • Wow, an unexpected trip down Memory Lane, with Frank and I at each other's throats and you, Tom, once again cast in the role of the "innocent bystander."

    Some links from April, 2003:

    Against fundamentalisms (JD, 04 April 2003)

    What Kind of Empire (FP, 09 April 2003)

    Now the Hard Part (TS, 09 April 2003)

    Neither sharp, nor precise (JD, 13 April 2003)

    Frank painted you and myself as (G.W.) Bush supporters. I took exception to being libeled. StavrosTheWonderChicken suggested that "A few beers in the same room together, and this bickering would be a bad memory, I suspect."

    In that spirit, when Frank suggested an interview, I responded to his request. My "interview" was never published. Now, I'm the "passive-aggressive" bad guy. As one M. Delacour might say, "C'est la vie."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home