INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Wednesday, May 15, 2002

Shake, Rattle, and Blogroll

I blogged yesterday about the special feeling that develops among the community of bloggers. Later in the day, when I visited Burningbird, I realized that I had had a fleeting experience just the night before of the unusual and unprecedented way in which these blogging bonds can evidence themselves.

I had been sitting with my wife, watching a bit of TV before turning in, when I noticed things jiggling on the shelves. After seeing Shelley's blog post yesterday, I realized that one of the thoughts that had zipped through my mind after the rattle was, "I'll bet this is Shelley's first quake."

One could logically ask why in the would I have such a thought when I don't even know her? Quite simply, the power of the Web. I've been following her blog for a while, so I was aware of her status as a newcomer to the Bay Area. Just an hour or so before the shake, I had been updating my blog and thinking to myself, "Hey, buddy, it's time you put Shelley Powers on your blogroll. You should have done it a long time ago, you lazy slob." Just then, Jill pops in and says, "Let's catch some TV." So the blogroll went untended for yet another day as I escaped into the tube.

So that's how I happened to think about Shelley after the quake hit. I love how this medium (I know some people will object to that word but, please, I don't want to get into all that) lets you in on peoples' lives almost in real time--those, that is, who have the kind of gift that Shelley does for writing about their experience.

I've really enjoyed reading about Shelley's impressions and feelings as she explores her new city. It brings back a lot of personal memories. It was forty years ago next month that I got my college degree, packed my car, and headed straight west. I've been here ever since, with the exception of three years based in LA. I hope Shelley has as good a life here as I've had--assuming she chooses to stay--and it kind of sounds like she will.

Anyway, this has been a long-winded way around to get to the point, which is, very simply, to say thank you to Shelley for a great blog, and to end my procrastination in getting her on my blogroll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home