INSITEVIEW- - tom shugart's weblog

Tuesday, January 28, 2003

Minding the Blood Pressure

I’ve always watched the State of the Union addresses, regardless of who was in office. This year, however, with the urging of my wife, I can’t bring myself to do it. Taking care of my blood pressure has become an important part of my life these days. Watching this man rallying the people to his insane policies, and being lustily applauded for it, is clearly not what the doctor ordered for this blogger.

Nothing is more guaranteed to get my blood boiling than watching this Teddy Roosevelt wanna-be squinting his eyes into that bellicose glare and jabbing his finger into the air, alienating the entire rest of the world, friend and foe alike, putting out this mindless bluster in my name and yours, making me feel almost squeamish to be an American.

No, instead, Jill and I have elected to dust off an as-yet unwatched tape of a made-for-HBO movie, “Hysterical Blindness,” starring Uma Thurman, Juliette Lewis, and Gena Rowlands.

Is that not a perfect title for alternative TV watching tonight?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home